10.07.2009

You Suck

I’m going to say it, and I admit that it’s been a while coming, but it’s time I admit two things. One, Christopher Moore is no longer my “favorite author” of all time. This is not to say that you suck --- here’s my original blog from way back professing undying love. His books are funny and engaging, and there are peaks (“Lamb”, “Island of the Sequened Love Nun”) and valleys (“The Stupidest Angel”, “Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove”, “A Dirty Job”), but I just don’t eat up his books the way I used to. I just think we’ve grown apart, for the most part. I'm more into Charlie Huston and Dan Simmons these days. We've had our time, but it's time to say that you're no longer my above-all-else fave.Secondly, Christopher Moore has now written two of my favorite books of all time. For the sake of numbering, in my top ten. (No, I’m not going to list them right now.) I don’t have a criteria for this top ten, probably another reason why I don’t have a top ten, but if I were it would be re-readability: can you read the book more than once and still find it to be a page-turning orgasm of the eyeballs? The sequel to (still the champ) my favorite book of all time (“Bloodsucking Fiends”), You Suck, exceeds my expectations and may be as good if not better than the original. But I won’t unseed the original because the sequel is new, or creates yet another classic character (“Abby Normal”). I have my first love, which I’ve read about ten times now, but this one is impressive because it’s not a cash-in for the fans of the original. It’s tight, it’s fun, it’s dorky, it’s clever. And it rocks.

So, bittersweet, Christopher, you are not perfect, you are not the greatest writer ever (this is more to prove my sanity than crush your imaginary ego), but I love, love, love your bloodsucking stories.

No comments: