7.20.2010

Public Enemies

I didn't see it on the big screen, but I don't regret spending any more than a rental fee on Public Enemies. Although you have the star power of Johnny Depp, Marion Cotillard, and Christian Bale, I couldn't escape the feeling of boredom as I sat through normally-uber-reliable Michael Mann's retelling of John Dillinger's last days.

Yes, the details are impeccably there. Yes, Depp is charismatic as Dillinger. Yes, I was checking my watch. I found the movie to be less interesting than the History channel's hour-long special on Dillinger, and certainly less detailed. The first public enemy number one, the story of the FBI's creation, the real-life story didn't need to be recreated or embellished for dramatic purposes. I suppose this is a case where if you know nothing about the events, you'll actually enjoy the movie. So, either watch the History channel biography or the movie, but not both. Don't end up like me; no one should be bored with Depp.

No comments: