7.09.2007

Soon I Will Be Invincible

You shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but sometimes I'll buy one just based on an irresistable title. With barely a glance at a review for the book or plot, that's what happened when I first heard about Soon I Will Be Invincible. I bought it and I loved it.Set in a world where superheroes exist, the story of an "evil" genius' return to power is told from the two disparate perspectives of an aging super-villain and a newbie super-heroine, providing hilarious realism, insight, and laugh-out-loud commentary. As a former collector of comic books, this refreshingly serious and simultaneously comedic take really struck the perfect chord with me.

Still, all you need is to have seen any of the recent docket of superhero films that have come out in recent years to gain an appreciation for the novel. My only lament was that the book (less than 300 pages) was over far too soon.

That, and if Mr. Grossman decides to write a sequel, it'll be quite some time before I can read it.

No comments: