5.19.2008

Juno

Was there a dearth of great movies last year? Of Oscar-nominated caliber movies? I liked Juno. I liked Ellen Page. I even liked the writing. But in a million years I would never have nominated it for Best Picture. One. Million. Years.I have seen Michael Clayton, No Country for Old Men, and There Will Be Blood, and I think it is outrageous to include the title of this other film I am talking about in the same sentence, so I just won't do it. Again, Juno was good. It was entertaining. It was cutesy and quirky and a nice little film. But, for your consideration, here are a few other movies I have seen in 2007 that I would not be ashamed to include in the 'Best Picture' list that were excluded:
  • 3:10 to Yuma
  • Gone Baby Gone
  • Bourne Ultimatum
If you haven't seen any of the above, I entreat you to do so and tell me any of the above isn't a better consideration for 'Best Picture' than Juno.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

saw the film, but that whole debacle reminds me of for Your Consideration. Only in that movie, the indie film doesn't actually make it to the Oscars. Something tells me some prank went to far. I agree, the movie was enjoyable (once you get past Ms. Cody's attempt to force some new slang on you in the beginning). But it didn't belong in such an esteemed category.

Anonymous said...

That beginning was meant to say that i didn't see For Your Consideration, but the Oscar race reminded me of it. Hmm, beer at five at work not such a good idea after all.