12.11.2009

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies


Today's news that Natalie Portman has been cast in the lead in the adaptation of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies reminds me that I have read that book and not written about it. It was okay.

My underwhelming synopsis is generated from a lingering disappointment. The book was clever, inspired in parts, but it never quite measured up to its brilliant concept. Jane Austen... and zombies. It sounds hilarious. Indeed, it should have been more hilarious, but alas my expectations were a bit too lofty for the material. It was okay.

I can't help but feel that this concept should never have been a book, but a script to be made into a movie. If made with the same balanced tone of comedy and serious horror, like Shaun of the Dead (I wouldn't be shocked if the idea to write PP&Z came after watching that film), this would be a delight to see. A fleshy, decapitating delight.

No comments: