7.21.2010

Coffee and Facebook


I logged one of my "favorite posts" about the lack of respect for the Phantom Menace back in 2003, and I still get the occasional comment about that blog. I happened to glance through my thoughts from seven (!) years ago, and found this passage (emphasis mine):
    Here's a short list of some things that I don't get: The Dave Matthews Band, movie musicals, Terry Gilliam films, Care Bears, divas, country music, lederhosen, coffee, and twizzlers. I'm not a fan of any of those things, and don't care to listen/eat/watch/wear (match appropriately, please) any of them.
Well, everything is consistent in that list, if somewhat irrelevant, except for coffee. I love coffe now, and I drink it just about every day. Not a lot, as is my character -- perhaps a cup a day at most -- but I do enjoy very good coffee. I'd say I'm even a coffee snob (proudly), that I prefer fresh beans, local coffee houses, Fresh Press, and sugar cubes.

One thing that is fun about getting older is that I appreciate different things. Frankly, I'm relieved I still don't like any of the other things on that list. My tastes are still impeccable.

Now, to add to that list: Facebook. I don't get Facebook. It feels like a fake social scene, and it gives me the creeps. I do however enjoy listening to my friends complain about who 'friended' who, dealing with parents on Facebook, getting Facebook stalked, etc. I recently ran into someone I've known for years who assumed I did not 'friend' her (excuse if I don't know the lingo) because we weren't friends anymore. When I explained that I have never* had an account, she admitted that it never occurred to her that could be the explanation. Which I found to be quite hilarious.

Although I have had a public blog for years, I consider my social internet footprint to be very light, and I want it to stay that way. When recruiters say they can't find my Facebook or Twitter or MySpace account or any data on me on the internet, I am overtly pleased. I enjoy technology, but I don't want an iPhone, I don't want to tell people what I'm doing every minute, don't want to be available for a call or talk on the Metro every day, work while I am driving my car, or socialize with people I won't ever see again.

Now, like coffee, maybe I'll change my mind in a few years. If I do, I hope the technology is as delicious.

* - I had a Facebook account for exactly 20 minutes in 2008. In that time, a "friend" messaged me "Ha! Knew you couldn't hold out!" and another posted a picture on my account. That was enough badgering for a lifetime and I killed the account.

2 comments:

Hackett said...

I think the frequency of your posts also contributes to your miniscule internet footprint. Hiyoooh!

Kelly Sedinger said...

Funny...some folks on Facebook were asking about you just last week. I told them you were mounting an expedition to climb both peaks of Mt. Kilimanjaro.