8.15.2011

Thor


This much is certain: he must work out.

I’m not entirely certain about a lot of other things about Thor.  The plot is complicated, dare I say almost too complicated to absorb by this poor sap in one sitting, but enough to warrant a second viewing when the time is right (read: release on DVD).  So that’s a good kind of complicated, as one would expect for a plot hatched by the legendary Loki.

I’m not exactly certain why Natalie Portman is starring in this Avengers vehicle, either.  I mean, don’t get me wrong, I am not complaining (aside: when did Natalie Portman become the recognized standard for geekly lust?  Or rather, when *after* the Professional was it okay to admit that freely?), and her acting doesn’t suck, but Jane Foster (I had to Google the last name and I have a decent collection of Thor comics) isn’t exactly one of the premier comics roles that you go after.  I am pretty sure that it has to do more with Kenneth Branagh in the director’s chair than Hemsworth’s mighty torso.

And I’m not exactly certain why Kenneth Branagh is directing this film, but I have to say it intrigued me enough to want to see what he would do with it.  He really didn’t disappoint.   Neither did Hemsworth in the lead role and his aforementioned sculpted body.  He inhabited the role playfully and believably.

No, I’m not really sure how I feel about the film Thor, but I’ll gladly see it again, because it certainly was fun to watch.  So, that’s something.

No comments: