11.10.2003

Subjection and respect
In his infinite subjective wisdom, a reader named John responded to my Revolutions post with:
    "(1) I find your analysis of the storyline interesting. (2) On the other hand - well, I don't think those of us giggling at everything Neo said and at all the ridiculously melo-dramatic dialogue were doing so becausee it was extraordinarily awful, not because we have any problem with emotion onscreen, in general. (3) Or, at least, that was me. (4) If Neo and trinity's farewell was not funny, what is?"

I'll respond to the points as I've inserted numbering above:
  1. Thank you. I'm a fan of movies that you have to think about and watch several times to get the most out of it. If I can help people to get more out of seemingly 'stupid' movies (don't get me started on AOTC), I get a little thrill out of it. Like that first sweet, sweet shot of heroin.
  2. I'm going to talk more about this statement later, but for now I'm going to infer that you mean the opposite of what you wrote, which is fine because of (3).
  3. The point is that humor is subjective, acting is aesthetically pleasing, and not everyone will respond to the same performance. It was ridiculous and awful to you, which is your perception and your right to it, not a fact that everyone else needs adhere to.
  4. What I find funny is people who believe in God and worship Jesus, for instance. I think that is hilarious. However, I have enough respect to not go into their places of worship and snicker and giggle when they are praying (even when I was an altar boy, but I digress). Whether it is funny or not was not the point I was making, but that the reactions and lack of control or care for the people around them was rude and quite distracting, much more than the 'ridiculous' dialogue.

Aside, though the movie is getting a majority of panning, I have yet to find someone who has seen it who didn't really like the movie (this is a sampling size of 3, so don't get hysterical). Anyway, now I'm going to focus my 'chi' for tonight's rumble in Lambeau field.

No comments: