10.06.2003

Cubs Win! Cubs Win!
    Patient: Doctor! The other night I had a dream I was a wigwam, and last night I dreamt I was a teepee! What does it mean?
    Doctor: You're two tents.

The curse is over, and all is finally right in the world, thanks to the Cubs spanking of the Braves last night in Atlanta. From start to finish, it was a nearly-perfect performance by the boys from the north side; the crowd (well, the Atlanta portion anyway) was subdued nearly from the first pitch (the fourth pitch Kenny Lofton lined a double down the right-field line). Even so, Cubs fans are restless and nervous until the very last out. It's been a long time since I've had the occasion to watch playoff ball with one of my teams (the other being the Phillies) involved, but I forgot how intense it is. Watching a baseball playoff game where you are invested in every single pitch is emotionally and physically draining - like watching a Superbowl every night out. And when the adrenaline wears out, you best be already under the covers (I was, not that it is any of your business).

And playoff baseball evokes a lot of other rules, ones that tend to slip past the casual, bandwagon observer. Having been exposed to a lot of crowds in the five-game series (at the local bar, natch), there are some things I was surprised to see.
    It ain't over 'til it's over.

The great Yogi Berra said a lot of crazy stuff over the years, but this saying encapsulates baseball more than any other (and perhaps the Philly-Redskins game). Please, please, please, if you decide to root for the Cubs just for the hell of it (e.g., to support your friends), do not make such neophytical statements like "Oh, they're going to win" or "They are going to score." In case you haven't heard of the goat, the curse, or just a plain old jinx, these are phrases likely to get you into trouble. If you aren't superstitious, that's fine -- just don't let me hear it, and go root for your team with your blasphemy.
    Good pitching beats good hitting.

Another rule of baseball that held up in the series. Kerry Wood and Prior mowed down the best hitting team in baseball, and having a strong staff is the best thing to have in the playoffs. Damn I'm excited.
    Once an asshole, always an asshole

There's a difference between playing hard baseball and being flagrant. With stunts like Fick pulled, it's no wonder the Braves lost.

It still feels a bit surreal, but what doesn't is my exhaustion. I was going to go out and support the Red Sox tonight, but Game 1 of the Marlins-Cubs (home field advantage!!!) starts Tuesday. I'm just going to curl up in the comfy bed and dream of World Series tonight.

No comments: