1.29.2004

Casting Hell and Oscar Buffoonery
Jaquandor alerted me to a vicious rumor that's been going around the internet movie sites, notably in Cinescape and AICN. Thusly: Beyonce Knowles is close to being Lois Lane and Johnny "zoot suit" Depp as Lex Luthor in the in-development-hell Superman flick. Personally, I can't think of a more ridiculous casting decision, but AICN said it nicely:
    "Ok, can you see what's happening here. They're not making the great SUPERMAN movie, they're making the hip and pop and garbage version. I love Johnny Depp, but he's wrong for Lex Luthor. Lex doesn't need to be funny or quirky. He needs to be calculating, charming and cold. Somebody like a shaved headed version of Ralph Fiennes. And Lois Lane, you don't throw away nearly 70 years of programming that Lois Lane is a small lithe brunette that wears wonderous buisness suits. Beyonce is COMPLETELY WRONG FOR THE PART! You need an actress, not a fucking PEPSI COMMERCIAL POP TART!"

Exactly. In somewhat related rant, can anyone tell me what glaring omission(s) are in the Oscar's Best Visual Effects category? You may have not understood the films, but at least acknowledge that the effects were fantastic. And tell me how 'Master and Commander' can even come close. Please. I shouldn't be surprised, though -- the Oscars are like the Grammy's to me anymore -- just a popularity contest. Utter contemptuous glare I have.

No comments: