1.23.2004

Expectations
I harken back to the heady, silly days of my youth, when I was sure that I could tell the substance and impact a film would have on me by a television trailer. I could also tell that I didn't like green peas because they were far to small and smarmy, or in a smack of true cliche, dismissed a book as uninteresting because the picture on the jacket didn't appeal.

The two most vivid recollections of my instinct being horribly wrong is in the form of two movies which I kicked, bucked, and threw one of my Trademark Fits (TM): On Golden Pond (1982) and (hesitation) Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981).

In a limited defense, these movies came out when I wasn't quite yet a teenager and therefore still confused about penile dual purpose jokes (plus the rather sheltered childhood) as I was about quality filmmaking. Honestly, I can't remember why I objected to going to see Raiders, one of the best adventure films ever and pretty much geared for kids. (Except for the spiders, snakes, and melting/exploding heads. This was the film that started the whole PG-13 rating. Really.) I just recall being really insolent (surprise!) as my brother and sisters dragged me to go see the film. Doggedly, I mentally assured myself that while they could make me watch the film, they sure weren't going to make me like it! Of course, being an unwitting slave to Lucas, this horse sure as hell drank when it got to the water.

However, Golden Pond was a different story. I know why I didn't want to see that flick -- who in their right mind would want to take a 11-year-old to see a movie about old people and their relationship with their kids? If ever a baby-sitter was asked for this was the time. Couldn't I just go see Dragonslayer for the 3rd time instead? Sadly, the answer to these questions was no, and that my parents knew I'd like it. Well, I had been wrong before about a movie, but surely my enlightened near-pubescent wisdom wouldn't fail me a second time.

It did. Both miserably and wonderfully on both occasions. Which leads me to (hopefully) the point of all this tittering: expectations. I've found that when I've expected very little in a film, it's easy to be open about the experience, and also when you stumble upon a great film in that state of mind, it's taking the experience to another level. Like getting gifts on non-holiday/birthday occasions.

It's pretty sad, my lack of movie-going prowess these days. Although I don't necessarily vouch for the validity of the Golden Globe Nominees as a working checklist of titles to see, it'll do for the purposes of my little rant/spontaneous keyboarding.

I've seen quite a few films this year already, but not very many that are referenced on the GG list (have seen: Return of the King, Master & Commander, Kill Bill, Last Samurai, Pirates of the Caribbean -- all great films), although I aim to take out Lost in Translation and Big Fish this weekend. Of those films, the one I went to with a perfunctory attendance attitude was The Last Samurai. It was another bloated Tom Cruise epic film, blah blah blah. But I still felt like seeing it because, well, I wanted to form my own opinion (being the most reliable judge of what is right and wrong and post-adolescent).

And it was the best film I'd seen this year. Yes, better than the Matrix sequels (not to say that they aren't wonderful films) that I go on about. Yes, better than Return of the King -- I admit I checked my watch 3 times in that film and none in Samurai. Yes, Tom Cruise deserves his GG nomination because, stunningly, I forgot that it was Tom Cruise playing the role of Algren from time to time. And yes, this is because the film really struck a chord with me. (Yes, I cried three times.) That the film hasn't garnered more notice or honors is most likely due to the Cruise backlash that seems to stigma his films and aggrandize Nicole Kidman's performances. Also, unfair comparisons (e.g., "Dances with Samurai", or "BraveCruise") have framed the film (I admit they rang true to me prior to seeing the film) as a knock-off. Nevertheless, this epic is restrained and bold, powerful and gentle, moving and breathtaking. And it didn't leave my ass sore from sitting for 3.5 hours (in truth, once you see ROTK, anything will seem short and refreshing). In short: go see it and form your own opinion, but see it nonetheless.

And now for eager anticipation -- I have heard lots of great things about Lost in Translation and Big Fish, and I'm really looking forward to seeing both. I won't have the surprisingly satisfying experience I had with Samurai, but if things hold up, maybe I'll have an expectedly great time anyway.

PS. So far, here are my top favorite movies of 2003:

1. Last Samurai
2. Kill Bill -- Vol. 1
3. X2: X-Men United
4. Pirates of the Caribbean
5. Matrix: Reloaded

I'm hoping some contender this weekend will jump in there.

No comments: