4.04.2005

Sith TV teasers
Over the weekend, I noticed Lucas' unleashing of a trio of Star Wars TV spots, two of which feature new footage not found in either trailers. Of the three, easily the most compelling is the one called Tragedy. Although the short TV teaser does feature some cool new action footage, far more interesting are the conversation snippets, which reveal heretofore unseen personal struggles.

Anakin starts off the trailer by confessing to Padme that "Something's happening... I'm not the Jedi I should be." The statement appears to be the first admission that he can sense his footing is off, that there may be other forces at work. Hayden delivers it not so much with sadness or curiosity or a mystery, but almost a resigned matter-of-fact acceptance, possibly even defeat. It's very subtle, but I found it quite chilling.

Mid-way through the teaser is probably the most disturbing snippet, that of Anakin threatening, with a quivering lip, his paramour with, "The Jedi turned against me. Don't you turn against me." Padme's teary, confused reply is simple, "Anakin, you're breaking my heart." Portman aptly conveys in that two seconds a woman who both loves and is afraid of her husband.

And of course, no Star Wars promo would be complete without the requisite, "NO!!" from a character. In this one, it is yet again camera-hog Anakin screaming the line and drawing his lightsaber in what looks to be Palpatine's office. Right, well, I would have been remiss had I not stopped to mention this excellent 30 second spot. Now off to prep for the last NCAA men's basketball game of the year.

No comments: