6.02.2004

West Wing Marathon
Thanks to the miracle of video recording technology, I was able to watch the top 5 episodes of the West Wing marathon on Bravo in 4 hours on Tuesday night instead of on Memorial Day. What an achievement, I know, but I need these little victories. In any event, their viewer's choice list of best episodes were as follows (links for synopsis):
  1. IN THE SHADOW OF TWO GUNMEN: PART II
  2. IN THE SHADOW OF TWO GUNMEN: PART I
  3. TWO CATHEDRALS
  4. POSSE COMITATUS
  5. THE STACKHOUSE FILIBUSTER
  6. NOEL
I only remembered the ranking for the top six. All of these episodes were excellent, but now some ME time for my personal favorites. Although I'm not sure if I would rank them higher than the above mentioned, I am particularly fond of the two back-to-back episodes introducing and featuring the Republican adviser, Ansley Hayes, entitled IN THIS WHITE HOUSE and AND IT'S SURELY TO THEIR CREDIT . To me, this is what confirmed The West Wing in my mind as a great series. Aaron Sorkin, the brilliant writer of the show, was able to create a likeable, articulate opposite-party character to give intelligent counterpoint to the often unchecked liberal regulars. It's what in debate class we used to call the ability to present both sides. It's a sign that the orator (or writer) has done his/her research and is knowlegdable about both sides. Also known as 'walking a mile in the other person's shoes'. Sorkin gets a lot of respect from me for that. Not to mention both episodes are snappily written.

I'm also particular about THE PORTLAND TRIP, if only for Bartlet's continued hilarious harassment on an Air Force One trip of C.J., who made some ill-conceived remarks about Notre Dame football. Also, any episode featuring LORD JOHN MARBURY is a hoot, thanks to Roger Rees' wonderfully charming boozing ambassador.

P.S. One little current political analogy: "IN THE SHADOW OF TWO GUNMEN: PART I". The most interesting thing (to me) about the episode was the flashback to Josh's days when he worked for (then) Senator Hoynes' campaign. He has a disagreement with another on Hoyne's staff and then confesses his gut feeling to Hoynes outside:
    "Senator, you’re the prohibitive favorite to be the Democratic Party’s nominee for President. You have 58 million dollars in war chest with no end in sight, and... I don’t know what we’re for...I don’t know what we’re for, and I don’t know what we’re against. Except we seem to be for winning and against somebody else winning."
My immediate reaction is that someone needs to show this episode to Senator Kerry, and soon.

No comments: