4.14.2008

Masters TV pretty, not good

I mentioned that ESPN's Masters coverage had stepped it up a notch, which apparently contributed to the highest cable rating ever for the event.

Unfortunately for champion Trevor Immelman, it will most likely be remembered as one of the most boring Masters ever. Certainly, I was uninspired. Aptly symbolised by Immelman's weak "yay" pose at the end, the weather conditions beat down the competition, removing any hope of late charges typical of Sunday at Augusta.What we were left with was a leader who shot 3over par, which was enough to retain a 3-shot lead over a field whose best golfer (Tiger) managed only an Even round. (He missed a remarkable number of short birdie putts, which he must be flogging himself for today. However, I will say a windy course affects both your shot-making and putting; if you've ever putted on a windy day, you know what I mean.)In fact, the most riveting moment was when we got to see Immelman's son Jacob, who is clearly in that "my head is grotesquely too big for my body phase". And he kind of scares me. I dare you not to be scared if you look into his alien-baby eyes.

No comments: